Sunday, August 19, 2012

Reflections on Today's Practice

Most everything went smoothly today in the practice room. There are some consistency issues, but they are mostly fixing themselves as I am getting back into a routine.

Before I continue, I really should apologize for not having posted examples of the various exercises yet. I'm a bit hesitant to do so because I don't want to step on anyone's toes or share information without permission, trample over copyright, etc. I'm trying to work all of these issues out so that I can hopefully share these great exercises with you here.

The harmonic exercises are kicking my butt right now, but I'll keep working at it and it should come back quickly. This is hands down one of the best exercises that I know, and one of the three that I love to start the day with because it gets everything working right off the bat (the other two are tongueless attacks and chromatic scales at a brisk tempo).

I'm really enjoying working through the Taffanel-Gaubert. I have to keep reminding myself that I'll be playing these same exercises for the next 8-9 weeks though, so I really do have lots of room to SLOW DOWN and enjoy exploring my own playing. It's quite liberating, really.

Bolero would be going fine, except I'm having what seem to be some pretty significant troubles finding spots to breathe. The rhythm is better than it was, although I still need some time with a metronome. Tomorrow I'm going to try and focus on the spots where the breaths need to be to see if I can assemble the pieces.

I did play piccolo some, mostly just for the sake of playing it (I did do work, too!). I just love playing piccolo.

No comments:

Post a Comment