Saturday, September 21, 2013

Garbanzo Bean Salad

It's been a [long] while since I posted any recipes, so I thought I'd share something that I made just now. It's just a simple cold side salad, but would work well as the entree of a light lunch too!

What you need for the beans:
one large or two medium garlic cloves
1 cup dry garbanzo beans
approx 2 1/2 - 3 cups veggie broth (or just water is fine too)
salt and pepper to taste

What you need to make the rest of the salad:
One medium/small carrot, shredded or chopped into small pieces
several slices of dill pickle, diced
 2-3 tbs. vegan (or regular) mayo - start with less and add more to taste
approx. 1 tsp. of dill

Instructions:
1. Peel and coarsely chop the garlic. (Save the ends/skins for making soups or broths!)
2. Cook garbanzo beans and garlic in broth (or water) overnight, seasoning with salt/pepper to taste. 
3. Drain and save bean liquid. Pat beans dry with paper towels.
4. In medium bowl, mix beans, carrot, pickle. Add mayo to taste (I prefer just a light coating), and then add dill to taste.
5. Enjoy! This should last several days in the fridge, and the recipe can be increased/reduced as needed.

I hope you enjoy this dish! It's very flexible, let me know in the comment section what variations you tried and liked!

No comments:

Post a Comment